Garage door springs can be dangerous if not installed or maintained properly.
A broken garage door spring can cause serious injury, so it’s important to know how to identify and fix any issues with your springs.
At Garage Door Express Austin, we want to make sure that our customers are well-informed about their garage door springs and the services that we offer. That’s why we’ve created this helpful guide on torsion springs and garage doors. Whether you’re a homeowner or business owner, you’ll find everything you need to know about keeping your garage door in good working order.
What You Need to Know About Torsion Springs and Your Garage Door
Garage door torsion springs are under a lot of pressure, and if they break, they can cause some serious damage. It’s important to know how to properly maintain your torsion springs and be aware of any warning signs that they might be about to fail. In this article, we’ll cover the basics of torsion springs and outline what you need to do in order to keep them functioning safely.
The torsion spring is the primary component responsible for lifting and lowering your garage door. It’s attached to the shaft at one end and the counterbalance on the other.
When the door is opened, the torsion spring contracts, lifting the door. When it’s closed, the weight of the door relaxes the torsion spring, and it returns to its original shape. Over time, torsion springs can wear down and break, so it’s important to keep an eye on them and know when it’s time for a replacement.
If you’re noticing that your garage door is opening and closing more slowly than usual, or if it’s starting to make strange noises, those are likely signs that your torsion springs need attention.
Torsion springs should be replaced every 5-7 years, depending on how often they’re used. If you’re not sure when your springs were last replaced, it’s a good idea to have them inspected regularly. Not only will this help keep your garage door functioning safely, but it could also save you from a costly repair bill.
It’s important to keep your torsion spring garage door in good condition. Here are 10 ways to do so:
1. Keep the area around your garage door clear of debris. This will help you perform routine maintenance and repairs safely and easily.
2. Lubricate the moving parts of your garage door regularly. This will help them move more smoothly and extend the life of your door.
3. Check the balance of your garage door periodically. A properly balanced garage door will last longer and be less likely to suffer damage.
4. Make sure all screws, bolts, and nuts are tight and secure. Loose fasteners can lead to injury or equipment damage.
5. Inspect the tracks and rollers on your garage door periodically. Worn or damaged parts can cause the door to operate improperly.
6. Keep the cables and pulleys on your garage door well lubricated. This will help them move more freely and extend the life of the door.
7. When closing the garage door, do so slowly to avoid stressing the torsion spring.
8. If you have an automatic garage door opener, use it sparingly. Excessive use can wear out the gears and motor on the opener.
9. Have a qualified professional inspect and tune up your garage door system annually. This will help keep your door in good operating condition and identify any potential problems before they become serious.
10. If you experience any problems with your garage door, don’t hesitate to have it repaired. A broken garage door can be dangerous and may cause extensive damage to your property.
What are the different types of torsion springs?
There are three types of torsion springs: extension, torsion, and constant torque. Each type has a different purpose.
1. Extension torsion springs -Are the most common type. They are used on most residential garage doors. They are attached to the horizontal tracks on each side of the door and help it open and close.
2. Torsion springs- Are used in heavier garage doors. They are mounted above the door and work with a cable to lift the door.
3. Constant torque torsion springs- Keep a constant tension on the garage door, which helps it stay closed. They are not as common as the other two types of torsion springs.
Benefits of torsion springs
There are many reasons why torsion springs are a popular choice for garage doors. Some of the key benefits include:
- Torsion springs provide a smooth and quiet operation, making them perfect for homes with neighbors close by.
- They’re also long-lasting and require very little maintenance, saving you time and money in the long run.
- Torsion springs are incredibly sturdy and can support even the heaviest of garage doors.
- Their design helps to keep the door tightly closed, preventing it from swinging open unexpectedly.
- The torsion spring system is also theft-resistant, making it a more secure option than other types of garage door springs.
- Torsion springs are easy to install and can be done by most homeowners in just a few hours.
- They’re a more affordable option than other garage door spring systems and can save you hundreds of dollars in replacement costs.
Looking for a locksmith near me?
Garage Door Express Austin is here to help! We provide torsion spring replacement and repair services for all garage door types. Whether your garage door is manual or electric, we can help you get it up and running again quickly.
Garage Door Express Austin is a trusted locksmith service provider in the Austin area. We have been providing quality locksmith and garage door services for many years, and our experienced technicians are capable of handling any torsion spring issue you may have.
If you are experiencing problems with your torsion springs, do not hesitate to call us for assistance. Our team will be happy to help you get your garage door up and running again in no time! Call us at (512) 482-0081!
Why you should choose Garage Door Express Austin?
We are a family-owned and operated business that has been providing quality garage door services to the Austin area since 1997. We are licensed and insured, and our technicians are professionally trained.
We offer a wide range of services, from repair and installation to replacement and maintenance. And we always use the highest quality parts and materials in our work.
But what really sets us apart is our commitment to customer satisfaction. We go above and beyond to make sure that you are happy with your experience with us. We want you to be confident in recommending us to your friends and family, and we will do everything we can to make sure you are 100% satisfied with our work.
So if you’re looking for a reliable, professional, and affordable garage door service, contact us today. We would be happy to help you with whatever your needs may be. Call us now! Phone: (512) 482-0081
Customer Testimonials for What You Need to Know About Torsion Springs and Your Garage Door With Garage Door Express Austin
“I was very happy with the service I received from Garage Door Express Austin. They were able to come out and replace my torsion springs the same day I called, and the price was very reasonable. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of garage door repair.”
– Sandra J., Austin, TX
“These guys are great! I called them because I was having trouble with my torsion springs, and they came out and replaced them the same day. The price was very reasonable, and the work was done quickly and efficiently. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of garage door repair.”
– Sarah P., Round Rock, TX
“I had a great experience with Garage Door Express Austin! They replaced my torsion springs quickly and efficiently, and the price was very reasonable. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of garage door repair.”
– Tracey H., Pflugerville, TX
FAQs About Torsion Springs and Garage Door Operation
What are torsion springs?
Torsion springs are the springs that lift and lower your garage door. They work by twisting around an axle to create tension, which lifts the door. There are usually two torsion springs installed on a garage door – one on each side.
How do torsion springs work?
When you open your garage door, the torsion springs unwind and help to lift the door. As the door closes, the torsion springs wind back up.
Can I replace my own torsion springs?
Replacing torsion springs can be a dangerous job, and is not recommended for DIYers. It is best to call a professional garage door service to have them replaced.
What should I do if my torsion springs need replacing?
If your torsion springs need to be replaced, it is best to call a professional garage door service. They will be able to replace the springs safely and ensure that the garage door is working properly.
How do I know if my torsion springs need to be replaced?
If your garage door is difficult or impossible to lift, or if it falls quickly after being opened, then your torsion springs may need to be replaced. It’s also a good idea to have your springs inspected every few years to make sure they’re in good condition.
What should I do if my torsion springs break?
If one of your torsion springs breaks, it’s important to call a professional garage door service right away. A broken spring can be dangerous, and it’s best to leave the repair work to the experts.
What can happen if my torsion springs break?
If your torsion springs break, the garage door will no longer be able to open. It is important to have them replaced as soon as possible.
How do I know what torsion spring I need for my garage door?
It is best to call a professional garage door service to have your torsion springs replaced. They will be able to help you choose the right spring for your garage door.
Does garage door torsion spring length matter?
Yes, the length of your torsion springs does matter. If the springs are too short, they will not be able to lift the garage door. If they are too long, they may cause the door to fall quickly after being opened. It is important to have the right size springs for your garage door.
What other problems can torsion springs cause?
If the torsion springs are not working properly, it can cause the garage door to be difficult or impossible to open. It can also cause the door to fall quickly after being opened. It’s important to have your torsion springs replaced if they are not working correctly.
Can I use extension springs on my garage door?
No, extension springs should not be used on garage doors. Only torsion springs should be used to lift and lower the door.
What is the difference between torsion and extension springs?
Torsion springs are the springs that lift and lower your garage door. Extension springs are used to hold up the weight of the door, and should not be used on garage doors.
If I have a garage door opener, do I still need torsion springs?
Yes, torsion springs are still needed even if you have a garage door opener. The garage door opener helps to lift the door, but the torsion springs provide the tension that lifts the door.
How do you know if your garage door torsion spring is bad?
If your garage door torsion spring is bad, it will be difficult or impossible to lift. It may also fall quickly after being opened. If you are experiencing these problems, it’s best to call a professional garage door service to have the springs replaced.
Can torsion springs rust?
Yes, torsion springs can rust if they are not properly maintained. It’s important to keep the springs clean and free of corrosion in order to ensure that they are working properly.
Will a garage door torsion spring break if it’s not used?
No, torsion springs will not break if they are not used. However, if the springs are not properly maintained, they may rust and not work correctly. It’s important to keep the springs clean and free of corrosion in order to ensure that they are working properly.
Garage Door Express Austin is here to help you with all of your garage door needs!
We know that a properly functioning garage door is important for the security of your home and family. That’s why we offer a wide range of services, from repairs to installations, so you can always have a safe and secure garage.
We want to make it as easy as possible for you to get the service you need, which is why we offer both phone and online booking. You can also count on us for 24/7 emergency service, so we’re always there when you need us.